Monday, June 22, 2009

Smoky Chipotle Chili Corn Chowder

When I saw this recipe last month, I knew it was going to be soooo yummy. I really wanted to make it. I decided to try it this week for the potato challenge. Okay, I chose potatoes for the challenge because I wanted to try this recipe.

Okay, so I didn't buy canned chipotles chilis in adobo sauce. I already had a jar of just plain adobo sauce, so I used two tablespoons of that, which made the chowder a lot darker than the pictures. We decided that it was runnier than we would have liked, and to remedy that, I think next time I would only use 1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth, and 1 1/2 cups of milk, adding more milk if it was needed. I also might add a can of cream-style corn next time too.

Overall, it was good. My husband only gave it three stars, but said to definitely make it again.

*************************
Smoky Chipotle Corn Chowder

1 tablespoon butter
3 green onions, thinly sliced, plus extra for garnish
2 cups red bliss potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups fresh corn kernels (2 medium ears) (or canned or frozen)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
2 cups milk (whole or low-fat)
1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus extra for garnish
1/3 cup diced cooked ham (about 3 ounces)

In a deep pot over medium-high heat, melt butter. Saute green onions for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add potatoes and broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; add corn kernels, salt, and chipotle chilis, and stir well. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the milk, Monterey Jack cheese, and cilantro. Turn off heat and allow chowder to cool for 5-10 minutes.

Puree soup in two batches until smooth, and return to the pot over medium-low heat. Stir in cooked ham and warm until thoroughly heated. Taste it; adjust seasonings accordingly. Garnish each serving with some finely chopped cilantro and green onions.

*************************

No comments: