Sunday, June 21, 2009

100% Whole Wheat Bread

You are probably wondering why I would post a bread recipe on potato week. And you are probably thinking, "another bread recipe?" I don't blame you. But trust me, this bread recipe is different. I have been looking for a great bread recipe since I got my KitchenAid mixer a year and a half ago. I think I found a winner. I found this recipe on the blog of my friend Mrs. Mordecai. She was going through the same thing as me, trying to find the perfect homemade wheat bread recipe. She finally realized that right under her nose was what she was looking for. This is the recipe her mom makes and has probably made for Mrs. M's whole life. You can find the recipe according to Mrs. M here. Without further ado:

100% Whole Wheat Bread

1 2/3 cups very warm water
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon instant yeast
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup instant potato flakes
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/3 - 2 cups additional whole wheat flour

Combine first 3 ingredients, then slowly add oil, honey, salt, potato flakes, and lemon juice, mixing as you go. Add remaining flour a little at a time until the temperature is right. Knead about 10 minutes (I use my KitchenAid). Shape into two loaves and place in two greased 8" loaf pans. Let rise until double, about 30 minutes. (I put them on top of the stove and preheated the oven at the same time.) Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes. Cool on rack. For a softer crust, cover the loaves with a towel as they cool.

****I followed the recipe exactly, except I used 8 1/2" loaf pans because I can't find 8" loaf pans anywhere around where I live. I grinded my own wheat flour (my very first time!), which made the bread even better (I'm sure it is all in my head). In a different post Mrs. M suggested that if you had more time the dough could rise for 30 or so minutes prior to the loaf shaping and rising step, so that is what I did. This bread is the softest home made bread I think I have ever eaten, and it is so easy! I think the potato flakes play a big part in the softness. My family of four ate an entire loaf in one day (mostly all at one meal).

I would rate this at 5 stars. I would definitely serve this at a dinner party along with lots of butter and some yummy jam, or maybe with some delicious soup. Mmmm.

2 comments:

Scott and Jillian said...

That sounds good!

Dean said...

Nice post, thanks for sharing.