Monday, June 22, 2009
Challenge Ingredient: Sugar
What's summer without a healthy dose of sugar? Sugar is a versatile ingredient used in many different types of foods, so I thought it would be a good ingredient for everyone to participate in!! *hint, hint*
Plus, who can't use more sugar recipes in their arsenal?!
A few fun facts:
* In some countries they ferment sugar cane to make ethanol and use it as automobile fuel. Yes, in some countries you can pull up to the pump and fill your car with fermented sugar cane instead of gasoline.
* Sugar is used to slow down the setting of cement.
* The glue industry uses sugar as an extender and as a vehicle to slow the setting process or to help keep the glue from drying too fast.
* Sugar plays a role in leather tanning and in the manufacture of paper ink and dyes.
* You can prolong the life of cut flowers by adding a teaspoon of sugar to the water in your vase. For cut flowers, sugar can be absorbed through the stem where the plant uses it as food, which helps them live longer. (fun facts from www.sugar.org)
So let's see a whole bunch of great sugar recipes this week! Post by Sunday night...or whenever you get around to it. We're not super picky. ;)