Monday, May 18, 2009

Chicken Parmesan

Just pretend that this post showed up last night, okay? I made this meal last night, and I haven't posted the new challenge ingredient yet, so I think I'm okay.

I cheated a little bit with this challenge. I have made chicken parm in the past, but not very often, and this is my own concoction of it.

*************************
Chicken Parmesan

2 chicken breasts
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 Tbsp flour (I use wheat flour)
1 1/2 Tbsp plain bread crumbs
1 1/2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
1 Tsp Italian seasoning
1 Tbsp olive oil
Pasta sauce
4 thick slices mozzarella cheese (or 1 cup shredded)

Preheat oven to 350o. Cut your chicken breasts in half flat-wise, so that you have four thin slabs. Put the beaten egg in a pie plate, and combine the dry ingredients in another pie plate. Coat a non-stick pan with olive oil, and heat over medium heat. Dredge the chicken breasts through the egg (both sides), and then coat with Parmesan mix (both sides). Place in pan on the stove, and turn every few minutes to cook evenly. When browned, transfer to a greased 11x7-inch baking pan. Cover with pasta sauce, and top each piece of chicken with mozzarella. Sprinkle additional Parmesan on top if desired. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Serve with buttered spaghetti noodles.

*************************

I found that I need to use a non-stick pan for this, because my stainless steel sticks and pulls the coating off the chicken, even when I use plenty of olive oil on the pan. Then I'm just stuck with chicken, instead of chicken Parmesan. As for pasta sauce, use whatever is your favorite. I usually make my own with tomato paste, water, lemon juice, and dried herbs.

I wouldn't give this five stars, because it's not very exciting or impressive. It's good, but not that good. Four stars are adequate.

No comments: