Monday, May 18, 2009

German Pancakes

Ok, so I am a TOTAL slacker and am posting this a day late. But, I don' t the new ingredient up, and Janelle just posted her recipe so I am joining the late clue :)

For this past week, we had soooo many eggs. Too many eggs. So I needed a recipe to use some eggs and flour. I remember a breakfast a friend once made for me when trying to get me to agree to date him! Well, it turned out to be a delicious (although quite rich) breakfast variation to pancakes, and because we are still friends, I stole his recipe. Surprisingly, it is quite easy to make!

German Pancakes


(Not my pic, but exactly what mine looked like)



2 Tbs Butter for Pan
Powdered Sugar for sprinkling

Mix:
8 eggs
2 cups milk
2 cups flour
1 Tbs sugar

Heat oven to 500 degrees. Blend all ingredients together. Melt 2 Tbs butter in 9x13" glass dish in the oven (glass needs to get warm too). Once butter is melted, pour in pancake mix. Cook for about 5-10 minutes or until sides have risen and are a golden brown.

Sprinkle with Powdered Sugar and serve with warm syrup.

Let me just say this is YUMMY!!! My daughter likes it (but she actually eats breakfast food) and my hubby says it is ok but a little rich. I LOVE IT. So, it takes next to no time and I'd say it's worth a shot to try out.

4 comments:

Janelle said...

I had never had these until I met my husband. This is what he asks for on his birthday, only we serve it with pie filling instead of powdered sugar and syrup. I like to add a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg to the batter before baking it, too, because I think it's a little "blah" without it. Come to think of it, my husband's birthday is Saturday!

Mari said...

I LOVE German pancakes! My husband asks for them every week. Adding cinnamon and nutmeg is a good idea Janelle, I'll have to try that.

Scott and Jillian said...

Okay, I have to make these STAT!

Kimbooly said...

Here's my recipe for them:
6 eggs
1 c milk
1 c flour
1 tsp salt
A bit of butter melted on the bottom of the pan. Drizzle the mixed up batter into the melted butter in a 9x13.

Since our family can eat one pan in a heartbeat, we now use a 9x13 and a smaller glass pan, and we do
9 eggs
1 1/2 c flour (3/4 white, 3/4 whole wheat)
1 1/2 c milk
1 1/2 tsp salt
melted butter on bottom of glass pans.

We have also added vanilla before. The whole wheat doesn't make it puff up as beautifully, but it sticks to our ribs a tiny bit more.