Creamy Microwave Mac and Cheese
Servings: 4 (these must be small servings, 'cause it actually made about enough for my daughter and I. Maybe we really pig out on the mac and cheese. I dunno.)
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I substituted NoSalt Sodium Free Salt, because my daughter is supposed to be on a low sodium diet.)
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- breadcrumbs (optional) (I did not use this option)
- In a medium saucepan, boil water. Add macaroni and cook 8 minutes; drain.
- In a glass or microwave safe dish, melt butter for 30 seconds. Blend in flour and salt.
- Stir in milk until smooth.
- Microwave 2 minutes, stirring with a fork after 1 minute, until thickened.
- Stir in cheese until completely melted.
- Pour well drained macaroni into cheese sauce, mixing well.
- Microwave at medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
- If desired, sprinkle top with bread crumbs before serving.
This was pretty easy to make. I would try it using different cheeses and spices. I read a few different recipes for mac and cheese, and some suggested adding dry ground mustard, garlic, Tabasco sauce, chili powder, white pepper... use your imagination.
I asked Katelynn if she liked it, and she said, "It's still a little bit too hot, but the sauce is good."
Well, there you have it, folks!
I give it 3 1/2-4 stars. Maybe serve it for a kids' dinner party??