Thursday, November 12, 2009

Pumpkin Dump Cake


(sorry about the weird shadow)

1 29 oz can pure pumpkin (Libby's is best...and be careful not to get the pumpkin pie mix, just the plain pumpkin)
1 12 oz can evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 c. sugar
1 t. salt
3 t. cinnamon
1 box yellow cake mix
1 c. chopped pecans (optional)
3/4 c. melted margarine

Preheat oven to 350. Mix first SIX ingredients until well-blended, and pour into a greased 13x9" pan. Sprinkle cake mix on top, cover with pecans. Pour melted margarine over top. Bake 50 minutes.

It makes lots and so is good for dinner parties and the like. (friend's comment)

My friend first called this just a Pumpkin Cake, but either way the title is misleading. It's more like an upside down pumpkin pie, with the cake mix forming a top crust. I don't know that I'll make it again. I'm pregnant so everything tastes weird, and it really wasn't what I was expecting. It wasn't bad or anything, but I was hoping for a CAKE, not a custard. *sigh* 3 stars.

(and yes, I know it has milk in it and I'm lactose intolerant, but I'm 8 weeks pregnant and I always crave dairy when I'm pregnant and, fortunately, seem to tolerate it better then.)

EDIT: My husband gave this 5 stars, and it was *much* better today than yesterday. I also apparently didn't "sprinkle" the cake evenly, because there were parts that it had sunk down in and made sort of a marbling effect with the custard, which was cool and more like what I'd wanted. I'd give it 4 stars today.

No comments: