Thursday, October 15, 2009

Chicken Cream Cheese Soup

I love Fall for so many reasons, one of them being that it's time to make soup again. This soup is pretty easy to make (it requires a lot of chopping, but it's nothing difficult), and it's so good. There can be hardly a better comfort food.

I found it on The Sisters' Cafe about a year ago, and knew it would be good. I have an eye for good recipes, but this one surpassed my expectations. The original recipe can be found here, but I've tweaked it just a little.

Chicken Cream Cheese Soup

1 lb chicken (breasts or combination)
1-2 Tb butter
1 onion, diced
2 handfuls baby carrots (about 2 cups sliced small)
2-3 stalks celery, sliced
4-5 potatoes, diced small
1 c milk
1/4 c flour
8 oz package cream cheese, softened and cubed

Put chicken in pot and cover with water, add seasonings (I use salt pepper, sage, basil, poultry seasoning, and onion); boil until cooked. Take chicken out of water but keep the broth. When chicken is cool, shred.

Saute onion in butter. Put onion in pot and add carrots and potatoes. Add 3-4 cups of broth or enough to cover vegetables. Add bouillon cubes or soup base for flavor (I add 4 bouillon cubes). Bring to a boil and simmer until veggies are tender.

Mix flour with milk and add to soup. Add chicken. Add cream cheese to soup and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper if desired.

I don't care what my husband would rate this (though I suspect it's at the very least a 4.5), this is a five-star meal.

No comments: