Sunday, August 9, 2009

Melon with Lime Syrup

I found this recipe on Martha Stewart's Recipe Finder.


Melon with Lime Syrup
Serves 4.

Ingredients
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup water (I ended up using a little more water, because the syrup got too thick when I wasn't able to cool it down fast enough in the ice bath)
* Juice of 1 lime (my limes were really, ridiculously small, so I used 2)
* 1/2 cantaloupe, peeled and seeded
* 1 pound piece of watermelon, without the rind
* 1 tablespoon small fresh mint leaves, for garnish

Directions
1. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and 1/2 cup water; place over medium-high heat. Bring just to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until syrup has thickened slightly, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in lime juice, and chill in an ice-water bath.
2. Meanwhile, cut the melons into attractive 1/4-inch-thick slices. Transfer to a serving dish, drizzle with the cooled syrup, garnish with mint leaves, and serve immediately.

***
This recipe got rave reviews from my family. My husband said that out of all the dishes I've made for this blog, this was his favorite one. It's really light and fresh. The syrup is subtle, but gives just enough pop to really kick the natural fantastic flavor of the melons up a notch.

Delightfully delicious! 5 stars!

No comments: