Thursday, July 16, 2009

Cashew Fettuccine Alfredo

I love pasta Alfredo. It's so yummy, especially if I make the sauce myself, instead of out of a jar. But it's so unhealthy -- all that butter and cream. So when I found this recipe, I had to try it.

Last night was (confession) the second time I made it, but I'm still figuring it out, and trying to work it into our rotation. I liked it better the first time I made it -- I don't think I used as much water. Last night the sauce was a little too runny, which washed out the flavor a little. I'm also playing with proportions, because the original recipe is too much for my husband and I, but I want more than half. So I'm playing around a little with it. I also ran out of fettuccine last night, so I had to supplement with spaghetti.

I served it with chicken, and it was really good. The recipe goes together really quickly. You'll definitely want to get the pasta going before you start the sauce. After processing the nuts, I added only a little water to start with, then gradually add more. I wouldn't add all of the water unless you like a runnier sauce.

With cashews, you still get fat in the sauce, but it's mainly unsaturated, instead of trans fats found in butter and cream. You also get a really great nutty flavor that goes well with the Parmesan cheese. I'd give this four stars, but my husband only gave it three.

*************************
Cashew Fettuccine Alfredo

1 cup cashew pieces
2 1/2 cups warm water
olive oil
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
18 ounces fettuccine
chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)

In a food processor pulse the cashews until they form a paste then add a bit of the water and continue to process until you've got a smooth texture (or as close as you can get to smooth).

Set aside, then in a saucepan heat a tablespoon or two of olive oil and saute the minced garlic until it's beginning to brown slightly. Add the cashew/water mixture, stirring and scraping as it heats, until it begins to boil and thicken. Once thickened, removed from heat and stir in the salt, pepper and Parmesan, stirring until melted.

Boil the fettuccine and drain then add to the cashew mixture and stir to coat the noodles. Serve with chopped fresh parsley if desired.
*************************

Original recipe found here.

3 comments:

MamaBear said...

sounds yummy, Janelle! but i think butter and cream have SATURATED fats, not TRANS fats. we'll have to give this one a whirl (pun intended).

Jillian said...

That sounds really good. And the picture is awesome!

Janelle said...

Trans fats are solid at room temperature, so butter has trans fats. You're right about cream though -- saturated. Saturated is better than trans, but not as good as unsaturated.