Thursday, June 25, 2009

Hot Creamy Cocoa Ice Cream

So I wasn't even goign to worry about this week. I'm going out of town tomorrow, and I'll be gone for about 10 days, and I just have too much to deal with to try to fit a challenge in. That was before I knew the challenge was sugar. Okay, well, I actually made something on Monday night, and then saw the challenge when I checked the blog again on Saturday morning, and it happens to work out.

For this recipe, I didn't have enough normal unsweetened cocoa powder, so I supplemented with unsweetened dark cocoa powder. It ended up being about 1/2 cup normal and 2/3 cup dark. It turned out super super yummy.

The recipe can be found here on Scoopalicious.

*************************
Hot Creamy Cocoa Ice Cream

1.5 cups of whole milk
3/4 cup sugar*
1 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa*
5 egg yolks
2 cups heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla

Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup cocoa in a small bowl. In a medium saucepan, heat milk and sugar/cocoa mix thoroughly. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk 5 egg yolks. Add heated milk mixture to egg yolks, whisking constantly. Pour egg/milk mixture back into the saucepan and add heavy cream and vanilla. Heat on medium heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula. Heat until the custard lightly coats the spatula. (Do not boil...you will get scrambled eggs) Remove from heat and pour through a fine strainer (helps to smooth the texture) back into a clean mixing bowl. This is where I added the remaining sugar and cocoa to perfect the flavor.

Cool over an ice bath and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Then freeze in your ice cream maker according to your machine's directions.

* this is a guesstimate since I kept adding cocoa and sugar until I got the flavor I was looking for

*************************

1 comment:

Sal-my-gal said...

Mmmmmmm... too bad I'm trying to eliminate sugar from my life.