Thursday, June 11, 2009

Easy Enchiladas

I was really lazy with this challenge ingredient. I really didn't want to go searching for new ground beef recipes, because I knew there would just be too many to sift through. So I modified an existing recipe that I use. It didn't turn out very well. It's much better in its original format.

*************************
Easy Chicken Enchiladas

1 8 oz pkg of softened cream cheese
1 small container of sour cream
1 large jar of medium to hot salsa
4 chicken breasts
8 flour tortillas
3/4 cup cheddar cheese

Season chicken breasts to taste and grill or you can just boil them until no longer pink.
Cut cream cheese brick into cubes.

Cut cooked chicken into bite sized pieces and add to cream cheese. Stir until melted, then stir in 1/2 of jar of salsa.

Warm tortillas in microwave until softened.

Add a heaping tablespoon of chicken mix to tortilla and roll up. Place seam side down in a greased 9-13 pan.

After all of chicken mix is used, mix sour cream and the rest of the salsa together in a separate bowl. Spread over the enchiladas. Cover with cheese and bake until cheese is melted and golden brown.
*************************

I usually cut this recipe in half for just my husband and I, and I also usually add green onions and cilantro to the filling. This time I substituted ground beef for the chicken, and it was not very good. My husband didn't like the texture (he's used to the shredded chicken), and I didn't like the flavors of the ground beef and cream cheese together. At first we said we'd give it about three stars (my husband said three at most), but the more I think about it, I'd have to drop it down to just two.

1 comment:

Janelle said...

I forgot to mention that I put up a new question of the week. Click on the link above this post to get to it.