Monday, May 18, 2009

Challenge Ingredient: SODA CRACKERS

Yep, soda crackers. A little odd, I know, but there's something I'm dying to make with them, and I happen to have a surplus at home, so that's what you get.

We all ate them as kids when Mom gave them to us with 7-Up or ginger ale for an upset tummy, and maybe we even ate them during our own pregnancies, but what else does one use saltines for? I've actually seen several recipes out there, and if nothing else, they can be substituted for bread crumbs in meatloaf.

A couple of quick facts:
  • Saltines contain more water than one might think. They feel very dry in the mouth but actually contain 32% water after the baking process.
  • Soda crackers, also called "premium flake" and "saltina" crackers, date back at least to the 19th century.
  • Soda crackers are a leavened bread that is allowed to rise for twenty to thirty hours.
(Source: Wikipedia)

Recipes up by Sunday night (that means me too)! And if you haven't seen the new Question of the Week yet, that's because I'm posting it as soon as I post this!

No comments: