Friday, April 17, 2009

Derby Pie

I made this last Saturday (but I made it for Easter, so it counts for this week, right?) and am just now getting around to posting the recipe. My mom has made this for years, but I never got the recipe from her until now. It's a dessert called "Derby Pie," but a cardiologist in my parents' church congregation re-named it "Coronary in a Pie Plate," which I think is quite apropos. It's basically a giant chocolate chip cookie in a graham cracker pie crust.

*************************
Derby Pie
aka, Coronary in a Pie Plate

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup self-rising flour
1 cup walnuts or pecans
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 stick butter, melted and slightly cooled
10 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
Graham cracker crust

Preheat oven to 325. Mix flour and sugar, set aside. Chop nuts. Add nuts, eggs, butter, chocolate chips, and vanilla together in a bowl. Mix gently; add flour mixture. Mix until completely combined. Pour into crust; bake 1 hour. Cool completely. Cut into slices and serve.
*************************

My notes on the recipe:

I didn't use self-rising flour. It's expensive and you can only buy it in at least 5 lb. bags, which is excessive for only needing 1/2 cup. You can substitute your own with a combination of flour, baking soda, and salt; but my mom said she's never bothered: she always uses normal flour. So that's what I did. The chocolate chips get pretty melty, so the nuts aren't really optional, as they give the pie its texture. I made my own pie crust, and didn't realize that I didn't need to bake it before adding the filling, so my crust ended up really well done. My mom also made this for Easter, and said that she only needed to bake it for 55 minutes in her oven, so if you try it, start checking it earlier.

Variations: use mint chips, butterscotch, peanut butter (with peanuts instead of walnuts or pecans), or cinnamon chips instead.

*************************
EDIT: I've uploaded a couple of pictures. Of course I had to make it again, so I took pictures the second time!

1 comment:

Scott and Jillian said...

Ummmmm...that sounds good!