Sunday, March 8, 2009

Fettuccine with Chicken and Asparagus

I ended up making the same recipe as Lyndsie. How, out of all the chicken recipes in the world did I manage that?

3/4 lb. fettuccine, cooked
1 1/2 c. asparagus, cut into 2 in. pieces
1 1/2 lbs. cooked chicken breasts, cut into slices
1 c. sliced mushrooms
1/2 c. yellow onion, diced
zest of 1 lemon
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
2 c. nonfat milk
1/4 c. white wine
1/2 c. Alfredo sauce
1/2 c. Dijon mustard

Combine the fettuccine, asparagus, chicken, mushrooms, onion, lemon zest, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Set aside. Combine milk, wine, Alfredo, and mustard in another bowl, mixing until smooth. Add the chicken and pasta mixture to a Ziploc freezer bag. Pour the Alfredo mixture into the Ziploc bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.

Notes: Due to Sunday laziness I broke into my freezer dinner I made Friday for a frozen dinner exchange a little early. I served it with a salad and bread sticks (yummers!). I don't have a picture. My family got to it before my camera did, due to a nursing baby. The recipe didn't specify how to cook the chicken, so I grilled it. I'm pretty sure just about everything tastes better off the grill. I used cooking wine, and only half the mustard. It was very easy to put together. It was nice to have something with so little prep after church. It got mixed reviews at the dinner table. My husband gave it "3 to 3.5 maybe 3.75" stars. I'm not sure I'd rate it so high. My 9 year-old gave it 3.5, my 5 year-old a 0. My kids wouldn't eat the asparagus. After I tasted it I understood why. It was mushy. I didn't like it either. Might of had something to do with being frozen before cooking. My husband suggested substituting broccoli (peas might be okay as well). The sauce was really peppery. That turned some of my kids off. One of them kept commenting on how strong the lemon was. I thought the lemon was fine. It could have used more mushrooms as well. My husband said it's worth throwing into the rotation. I'm not so sure. That makes me sad that I made eleven of them!

No comments: