Sunday, March 8, 2009

Mexican Pork Salad

Mexican Pork Salad
by: Janet Eyring

I got this off KSL News recipe section at a suggestion from a friend. I don't have a picture because I skipped off to pack night before it all got set on the table. I didn't think half empty bowls would be too appealing.

Sweet Pork
1 (3-5 lb.) sirloin or boneless pork loin roast
1 cup salsa
1 cup packed brown sugar

Method:
Place ingredients in a greased 3 ½ - 5 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat 8-10 hours. Shred pork with a fork or potato masher before serving. Use meat in salads, burritos, or tacos.

Cilantro-Lime Rice
1 cup uncooked converted white rice
1 teaspoon butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon grated lime peel (zest)
1 can (15 ounces) chicken broth
¼ cup water
2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
2 teaspoons sugar
3 Tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro

Method:
In a saucepan combine rice, butter, garlic, lime zest, chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook 15-20 minutes, or until rice is tender. Remove from heat. In a small bowl, combine lime juice, sugar, and cilantro. Pour over hot cooked rice. Serve warm.

Creamy Tomatillo Salad Dressing
1 cup sour cream
1 envelope Ranch Salad Dressing
½ envelope Fiesta Ranch Salad Dressing
6 tomatillos, husked and cut in half
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice from 2 freshly squeezed limes
¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro

Method:
Combine all ingredients in a blender. And blend until smooth. Store in refrigerator up to 1 week.

Notes: This got mixed reviews. I loved it. I'd give it 4 stars (because the best thing I've ever eaten is dinner at Flemming's, chocolate lave cake included). I'd definitely serve it to guests. It'd be great for a ladies luncheon. I ate the leftovers every day for lunch. My husband only gives it 3 stars, because the pork isn't his favorite. I imagine you could use this recipe with chicken or beef and it would still be fabulous. The dressing had a strong flavor. I don't think it'd be good on a non-Mexican type salad. Some of my kids liked it. Others didn't. It was a little tart. Maybe I didn't pick good tomatillos (Here's where I admit that I kind of cheated a little. Last week I saw what this week's challenge was and since I had already bought tomatillos to try this recipe I thought I'd count it anyway, even though I made this last Thursday. If I'd waited I'd have read the great "how to choose a tomatillo" tips before hand). I suggest getting small ones. My food processor doesn't blend things very smoothly, so it was a bit chunky. That could have been part of the problem. The rice recipe was good. It doesn't go as far as the meat and dressing. We didn't have any leftovers after the first night.

Serving suggestions: black beans, tortilla chips, sour cream, guacamole (or diced avocado), tomato, salsa, shredded cheese, etc.

1 comment:

Jillian said...

That looks pretty tasty.