Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Watermelon, Lime, Red Onion & Avocado Salad with Cilantro

My mom introduced me to this salad a few weeks ago when I was visiting her. She'd had it at a church activity. I made it again this week while she was visiting me. I was sure to take pictures. It sounds really weird, but it's actually good. The textures and flavors combine really well. I loved it and would give it five stars, but my husband didn't really like it much at all.

One word of preparation advice: make sure you cut the onions really thinly.
*************************
2 avocados, pitted and peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
2 limes, juiced
1/2 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1-2 lbs watermelon, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 bunch cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl, add cut avocado. Cover with lime juice and add red onion and watermelon. Drizzle with olive oil and toss with fresh cilantro, salt and pepper.
*************************

2 comments:

Jillian said...

Well, if it has cilantro in it, it *must* be good, right?!

Scribbit said...

I agree-with cilantro that's a big stamp of approval.

What a strange pairing--but I tend to be very open to strange pairings because they're so fun to discover.

I even have the watermelon on hand.