Sunday, August 30, 2009

Raspberry Lemonade Pie

I had some vanilla ice cream in the freezer and our local grocery store had raspberries for $0.50 a carton yesterday, so I thought this would be a fun creation. I got the crust recipe from the Honey Made graham cracker/Nabisco website, but the rest of the recipe is my invention.

Raspberry Lemonade Pie

Crust:
8 whole graham crackers, finely crushed (about 1 1/4 cup crumbs)
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix all ingredients until well blended.

Press firmly onto bottom and up side of 9-inch pie plate. (I used a 9.5 inch and it worked fine)

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely.

Filling:
1 2 quart carton vanilla ice cream, softened
1 can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed (this is what I used, don't use it. Use powdered lemonade instead) See edit below
1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries

Mix softened ice cream and most of the can of thawed lemonade concentrate, to taste. Gently stir in raspberries.

Place filling in pie crust and put in freezer. Allow enough time for filling to harden back up. Top with fresh whipped cream and freeze again until cream is frozen.

****I have a few modifications to my recipe. Don't use frozen lemonade concentrate. Although it tastes oh so good, it doesn't freeze back solid. Use powdered lemonade. I'm sure it works lots better. The pie was so soft that we had to serve it with a spoon. When I tried to spread the cream on the pie (which I think I whipped too thick), it just mushed the filling all around. So don't use the liquid lemonade stuff.

Edit: I had some filling left over, so I put it back in the carton in the freezer. I got it out the next day and it was actually frozen. So I would say if you need it to freeze in a few hours to use powdered lemonade, but if you have the brain and time to make it the day before, I would go with the liquid concentrate. I think it tastes better for something like this.

We ate this with friends and everyone agreed that it should be rated five stars. It was really, really good. We ate the whole thing and I'm surprised that the pie plate didn't get licked clean. It was definitely a hit.

No comments: