Monday, June 1, 2009

Tangy Tortilla Casserole

Well, once again I'm a day late and a dollar short but here's a recipe with corn in it! The actual recipe only calls for corn tortillas (which I was going to count as my corn) but then my husband requested that I add actual corn to the casserole. Done and done!
This is my grandma's recipe so I've had it at her house but this was my first time making it. I wish I had taken a picture of it for you but in a pregnancy induced fit of starvation I ate before photographing.
Sorry!

Here's the recipe for ya:
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 med onion
1 lb can tomatoes (diced)
1 10oz can enchilada sauce
1 2 1/2 oz can sliced olives (including liquid)
1 can corn
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 c. salad oil
8 corn tortillas
1 c. small curd cottage cheese
1 egg
1/2 lb thinly sliced jack cheese
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. tortilla chips, crushed (I used Frito's, mmm...)

Brown meat and onions. Add tomatoes, enchilada sauce, olives, corn, salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
Fry tortillas in salad oil for one minute (only to soften). Beat cottage cheese and egg together. Spread one third of the meat sauce in the bottom of a greased shallow three quart casserole dish.
Top with one half of the jack cheese, cottage cheese and tortillas. Repeat with one third of the meat mixture. Repeat with the other half of the jack cheese, cottage cheese, and tortillas. Repeat with the last third of the meat mixture.
Top with cheddar cheese. Sprinkle crushed chips around edge. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.

I really like this recipe although it isn't really fancy enough for a dinner party so I would probably give it 3 or 4 stars.

No comments: