i found this online - had read it somewhere, wanted to try it, had to google it and found several varieties. can't remember precisely where i found this variant.
1 to 1.5 lb. ground beef
3/4 c. grated carrots
3/4 c. grated zucchini
1 small diced onion
1/2 c. frozen peas
1 can tomato soup
2 tsp. beef stock
2 T tomato paste
3 cups cooked macaroni
2 T butter
3 T flour
1-1/2 cups skim milk
1. cook ground beef in a deep skillet, then drain off fat. (cook macaroni while you do this.)
2. add 4 vegetables to the pan and cook 2 minutes.
3. add next 3 ingredients and continue cooking 5 minutes.
4. mix macaroni in well, and place in casserole dish.
5. melt butter, whisk in flour one tablespoon at a time, then add milk and whisk/heat until smooth. pour sauce over meat, then top with cheddar cheese.
6. place in a 350-degree oven and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
this was really good but needed more spice - salt and pepper perked it up. it is an EXCELLENT way to sneak veggies into your dinner if you need to hide them; nobody even noticed they were there. my kids would eat them anyway and it's a good deal of extra work given that fact. and it's not much different end result from a family favorite (glop), but it IS more work.
would i make it again? maybe - but i'd skip the baking part. and don't know how much the milk added. but i had to share!