Saturday, May 2, 2009

Apple Cheese Melt


APPLE CHEESE MELT
1 tbsp. softened butter
2 slices whole wheat bread
1 slice ham
1 round slice apple, cored
1 slice Swiss cheese

Spread butter on 1 side of each bread slice. Make sandwich (buttered sides out) with ham, apple and cheese slices. Cook covered in skillet over medium heat until browned on both sides.
(from All Easy Cooking Recipe Kitchen)


This sandwich was AWESOME! I felt like Remy in "Ratatouille" when he is describing how tastes can work together to his brother, Emilie. A grilled ham & cheese- good. An apple- good. Together- FIREWORKS! I never would have thought about putting apple on a sandwich, but it was SO good. Really tasty, and easy to whip up in a couple of minutes.

Alterations: When making this, I used a Granny Smith apple, and the extra tartness worked really well with the ham and Swiss cheese. Instead of using slices of Swiss cheese I grated the cheese. I read on another blog that grated cheese works better when making a grilled cheese, because it melts more evenly and gets down into the nooks & crannies of the bread. Also, I'm not sure if the recipe was intended to be made with a slice of 'normal' ham, or lunchmeat ham. I used lunchmeat, because that's what I had on hand. I can tell it would be yummy with "real" ham, too.

I would give it 4 stars, except I don't think I'd take it to a potluck. :)

P.S.-- I took that picture. Are you proud of me?!

4 comments:

Janelle said...

I'm really impressed with that picture. Great job! The sandwich sounds good, but if I made it, I'd use a different kind of cheese. But that's just because I really really don't like Swiss cheese, which is too bad, because my husband really does like it.

stewbert said...

That is an awesome picture! WTG!

Janelle, it'd probably be good with a sharp cheddar and a sweeter apple, too ... wish I could try it. lol

Sal-my-gal said...

That IS a good picture. And I totally want to try this sandwich!

Jillian said...

I couldn't have done it without those food photography links, Janelle. A better angle, setting the camera down on a stable surface, and natural light. Who knew?!