Friday, April 24, 2009

Hot Chicken Salad

I thought this recipe looked yummy, so I decided to try it. It even includes water chestnuts!

Sorry, I forgot to take a picture. Just think of a casserole with corn flakes on the top. That is what it looked like.

Hot Chicken Salad
from Nancy's Kitchen

2 cups chicken, cooked
1 cup rice, cooked
1 cup celery
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 teaspoon chopped onion
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 can Cream of Chicken soup, undiluted
1 cup water chestnuts

1/2 stick margarine
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 cup crushed corn flakes

Mix all ingredients next day put in casserole. In separate pan melt margarine, and stir in crushed corn flakes and slivered almonds. Spoon over casserole. Bake for 35 minutes, uncovered, in 350 degree oven.

****The instructions were a little weird to me, so I just mixed all of the ingredients in the first group together, put them in a 9x13 pan, covered that with the ingredients in the second group (that I had mixed together)and cooked according to the instructions. I used butter instead of margarine and canned mushrooms instead of fresh ones. I chopped up the water chestnuts (my husband doesn't like them very much, so I thought maybe they would be more tolerable to him in little pieces).

I give this recipe 3 1/2 stars. I didn't totally love it, but my sons actually ate it and my husband had about 5 servings (minus the mushrooms).

1 comment:

Janelle said...

I saw this during the water chestnuts week, and thought it sounded yummy to make for corn flakes week, but then my hubby finished off the corn flakes, and I don't want to buy another box, just to have it sit around forever again.