Thursday, March 10, 2011

"That's alright. I make lamb."

The other night I was trying to decide what to make for dinner, and as I was looking through the freezer I found some ground lamb. We hadn't had lamb in a long time, so I thought that sounded like fun to make. Now, I just needed to find a good recipe! Well, I found one on food.com. It was SO good, especially if you like curry powder. Yum! Here's the recipe.



Nordic Moon Ranch's Most Excellent Ground Lamb

"This recipe is great for just about anything you want to fill or top. Use it over rice, serve it in Pita's with Feta Cheese, fill pastry shells, or even have it on toast! It is very flavorful and has an Indian Flair to it."
Ingredients
    • 1 1/2 lbs ground lamb
    • 1 large onions, finely chopped
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 2 tablespoons your favorite curry powder ( I use Rogan Josh) - I think I put in more than this. The more curry the better, right?!
    • 3/4 cup red wine or 3/4 cup beef broth - I used chicken broth, because I was out of beef broth.
    • 4 teaspoons tomato paste
    • 2 cloves garlic
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes ( for you pepper bellies out there) (optional)
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Directions

  1. In a large, preheated heavy skillet over medium heat, brown lamb evenly.
  2. Drain of all fat.
  3. In same skillet, saute onion in olive oil until soft.
  4. Using mortar and pestal, grind garlic to a paste with the salt.
  5. Add paste to onions in skillet.
  6. Stir in curry powder and red pepper flakes if used.
  7. Return lamb to skillet and add tomato paste and broth or wine. - I ended up adding quite a bit more chicken broth, because my pan was so hot that it all evaporated/boiled out/whatever really fast.
  8. Reduce heat and let simmer for 10 to 20 minutes, or until flavors have blended and liquids are thickened.

* To serve, I put about an ounce of meat into a mini-phyllo shell, then cooked it in the oven for 3-5 minutes like the package said, just until the shells were golden brown. 
The kids thought it was fun, and they each ate at least two, even my picky daughter! The flavors were so good, and there was none of the gamey-ness usually associated with lamb. I'd like to try some of the serving ideas given by people who reviewed the recipe on food.com. Some of their ideas of how to use this terrific meat were awesome.  

1 comment:

Janelle said...

My Big Fat Greek Wedding! I need to watch that again.