Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Homemade Enchilada Sauce

After Thanksgiving I wanted to try my hand at making turkey enchiladas with some of the leftovers. But, I didn't have any enchilada sauce and I kept forgetting to buy some at the store. So, I went to my trusty Food.com and looked up enchilada sauce.

This one had the most reviews, all of which were positive, so I thought it was a safe bet. And, it was. It turned out really well, and it was really easy.

Enchilada Sauce

Ingredients

    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 3 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 teaspoon minced onions
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 1/8 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
    • 1/4 cup salsa
    • 1 (6 ounce) cans tomato sauce
    • 1 1/2 cups water

Directions

  1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
  2. Add the garlic and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
  3. Add onion, oregano, chili powder, basil, ground black pepper, salt, cumin, parsley, salsa and tomato sauce.
  4. Mix together and then stir in the water.
  5. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
  6. Use in place of canned enchilada sauce.

**Jillian note: I added more cumin than it called for, just because I know my family loves cumin. And, I used picante sauce because we were out of salsa. Also, I would suggest measuring out all the spices and mixing them together in a bowl before you start to make it easier on yourself. Enjoy!

No comments: