Monday, August 3, 2009

Watermelon Agua Fresca

I found this amazing recipe and can't try it until after I go to the grocery store this afternoon. However, I'm posting it now (because I'm really excited about this one) and will reply with my review when I use my guinea pigs--ahem, family--this evening. Note that you can use pretty much any kind of melon or fruit combinations.

Watermelon Agua Fresca
2 cups cold water
2 cups watermelon, rind removed, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons sugar (base how much or how little you use on your personal preference)
1 tablespoon lime juice
ice

Cut the watermelon into roughly 1-inch cubes. If using other fruits, prepare them accordingly, removing seeds or skins. In a blender or food processor, combine water, watermelon, sugar, and lime juice until smooth. Pour mixture through a strainer into a pitcher, forcing through most of the pulp. Chill at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve with or without ice cubes. As a decorative touch, add slices or chunks of matching fruit just before serving.
Makes 2 servings.

Variations
• Agua de Melón: Use cantaloupe or any other melon.
• Agua de Fresa: Use strawberries.
• Agua de Papaya: Use papaya.
• Agua Fresca de Pepino: Use peeled, seeded cucumbers and lime juice. Cut down on the sugar.

4 comments:

Scott and Jillian said...

My kids would probably drink gallons of that stuff! It sounds like it would be really nice to serve at a shower or something like that.

Mary Ellen said...

Crap. That's "lime" juice if you couldn't tell.

Janelle said...

I fixed it for you, Mary Ellen.

Valerie said...

That sounds so good! I have a watermelon smoothie recipe that we love, but this is healthier.