Wednesday, May 6, 2009

sweet potato burritos?

Several of my friends love these, so I thought I'd try them. Found the recipe here.

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 6 cups canned kidney beans, drained
* 2 cups water
* 3 tablespoons chili powder
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
* 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
* 3 tablespoons soy sauce
* 4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
* 12 (10 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
* 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese


DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Heat oil in a medium skillet, and saute onion and garlic until soft. Stir in beans, and mash. Gradually stir in water, and heat until warm. Remove from heat, and stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy sauce.
3. Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the warm flour tortillas. Top with cheese. Fold up tortillas burrito style, and place on a baking sheet.
4. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, and serve.

*****
Comments: I love black beans and sweet potatoes, so I thought I'd give them a shot. I roasted sweet potatoes for an hour at 350, let them cool, then just popped them out of their skins and fork mashed them.

I halved the beans recipe and only added 1/2 c water, and they were still pretty runny.

I didn't bake these, just wrapped them up and served them. We left out the cheese. We don't do vegetarian at our house (because hubby won't eat vegan meals), so I also sauteed an onion with about 1-1/2 pounds of beef stew meat and 1/3 envelope of taco seasoning. I put the beef mixture in separate burritos from the sweet potatoes, but the beans went in both.

Hubby hated the sweet potato burrito, didn't even finish it (which is saying a lot). He did eat the meat and beans. lol. I didn't even give a sweet potato burrito to kiddo because she doesn't like sweet potatoes, but she did eat the beans and meat. I actually liked them, but rate the recipe a 1 because I will not be making it again (unless it's just for me). However, the beans themselves were great and I would probably rate them a 3 or 4 to take to a potluck if you were just serving the beans and not making a burrito (because burritos are hard to do at a potluck). If I were to do them again, I would still drain the beans but put them in a food processor instead of try and mash them, and then just add a little water for consistency.

1 comment:

Jillian said...

That's too bad that your family didn't like them. Well, now you know, right? ;)