Monday, May 4, 2009

Challenge Ingredient: BLACK BEANS

Good afternoon everyone, and welcome to the new challenge day here at What's in {Your} Oven?. I am personally very excited about this challenge. Tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo, so I thought it would be fitting to do something Mexican-ish. Black beans are very Mexican.

(A side note before the schpiel on black beans: Cinco de Mayo, is not, as many, perhaps even most, Americans believe, Mexican Independence Day. That is actually September 16. Cinco de Mayo actually commemorates a Mexican victory over the French in the regional Battle of Puebla. But hey, it's an excuse to eat great Mexican food, so what do we care?)

Okay, moving on. Black beans.
I love black beans. Anytime I have the option of black or pintos, I will choose black.

Black bean quick facts:
  • Black beans are a good natural source of antioxidants.
  • Black beans are very popular not only in Mexican cuisine, but in most Latin American countries, including Brazil and Cuba.
  • They are a good source of fiber and protein.
  • They prevent blood sugar levels from rising too quickly after a meal, making them a good food for diabetics. (I'm actually very glad to know that if I ever have to deal with diabetes that I can still eat black beans, and lots of them.)
These are an ingredient that I use so often that I don't use recipes. These I almost always cook by taste and smell. The easiest black bean recipe I have to offer you is this:


Southwestern Crockpot Chicken

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small bag frozen corn
2 chicken breasts (frozen or thawed)
1 jar salsa

Put ingredients in crock pot in order. Cook on low for about 6 hours. Pull chicken out, shred it, mix it back into the crock pot. Let sit for another 1/2 hour. Garnish with cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips.


Happy cooking, and please post by Sunday night!

4 comments:

Scott and Jillian said...

Can I use that as my recipe? I was just looking for a crockpot recipe using chicken!

Okay, okay.I'll find something else.

Janelle said...

I don't see why not...it's a new recipe for you, isn't it?

Deb said...

Black Bean Salsa

Mix 1 can drained, rinsed black beans with 1 can drained, rinsed whole kernal corn. Stir in 2 diced avocados, 1 bunch chopped green onions, 1 bunch chopped cilantro, the juice of 2 limes, and garlic salt to taste.

Serve as a salad, with chips, or as a topping for tacos, quesadillas, tostadas, enchiladas, etc.

Fast.Easy.Yummy.

Hope I was really supposed to post the recipe here. . .if not, sorry.

stewbert said...

I make a soup very similar to that, only add chicken broth and cumin ... it's my favorite.