Sunday, April 19, 2009

Twisters Biscuit Sticks

This recipe is from the book "Betty Crocker Baking for Today: Always in Style, Always Gold Medal" The main ingredient isn't eggs, but an egg was used in the recipe, and I figured there wouldn't be many bread recipes, so I went with it. The recipe was in the section on baking with kids.


Twisters Biscuit Sticks
Prep Time: 16 min; Start to finish: 30 min.
Yield: 6 twisters

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour*
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
Topping (such as cinnamon-sugar, oats, sesame seed or shredded cheese)

*if using Gold Medal self-rising flour, omit baking powder & salt

Directions:
1) In medium bowl, stir all ingredients, except egg and topping until a soft dough forms. (I added a little more milk, because the dough still seemed a little dry.) On lightly floured surface, shape the dough into a ball, using floured hands. Knead 10 times. Place bowl over dough; let rest 15 minutes.

2) Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Divide dough into 6 parts. Roll each part into a 15-inch rope. (since I had 4 little helpers, I ended up dividing the dough into 8 or 9 parts. Each kid wanted to roll their own "snake". Also, I didn't roll the ropes until they were 15 inches, which probably makes a difference in how they bake & taste-wise.) On ungreased cookie sheet, place ropes. (I'd still grease it, if I were you.) Fold each rope crosswise in half, and twist halves together. Brush egg over dough. Sprinkle with topping. (For topping I used Papa Murphy's Herb & Cheese Blend)

3) Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. (Uhm, I didn't do that part.)

High Altitude (3500 to 6500 ft): Use 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder.

*You can add drops of food color when you stir in the milk for a fanciful, colorful bread. Make twisters a special treat by dipping them into applesauce or warm cheese sauce. (that would be yummy!)

****

These were really easy to make. I would definitely make them again They were kind of schmancy looking, too! My hubby was surprised when I said that I made them from scratch. Go, me! They were a little bit dry, but that might be remedied by making the ropes longer like you are supposed to. They would be fun to experiment with, by using different toppings and dipping sauces. They were perfect for sopping up the extra sauce on our spaghetti plates.

*I would give these 4 or 5 stars*

No comments: