Sunday, April 12, 2009

Challenge Ingredient: Eggs


This week, to celebrate Easter, we are using the Incredible, Edible Egg. I thought this would be a fun challenge, because eggs are used in a wide variety of dishes and cuisines. Plus, they are usually on sale this time of the year. Sweet!

Did you know:

You can keep fresh, uncooked eggs in the shell refrigerated in their cartons for at least three weeks after you bring them home, with insignificant quality loss

A hen requires about 24 to 26 hours to produce an egg.

The white of a Large egg measures about 2 tablespoons’ worth of liquid, the yolk is about 1 tablespoon and the whole egg is about 3 tablespoons.

Yolk color depends on the plant pigments in the hens’ feed.

A chef’s hat, called a toque, is said to have a pleat
for each of the many ways you can cook eggs.


Pretty neat, huh. So, let's BREAK out of our SHELLS and make some egg-cellent food this week!!

I crack myself up. Hee, hee, hee. Don't worry. I can keep 'em comin' all day.

1 comment:

Sal-my-gal said...

I guess I should mention that I've been out of town, and thus not in participatory mode. I'll be back in the swing of things next week, barring a need for a "vacation from my vacation"...