Friday, March 20, 2009

Moo-shu Chicken wraps

I'm not a big cabbage-lover, so I looked for a recipe where it's not the main ingredient. I found this one in Family Circle. And, I forgot to take a picture of it before we ate it, so here's the picture from the magazine. It at least gives you a clue what you'd be eating.


Moo-shu Chicken wraps

Makes 10 rolls, 10 mins prep, 10 mins cook time

1 Tb sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bag (10 ounces) shredded coleslaw mix (I used plain shredded cabbage, since that's what I had on hand)
1 bag (8 ounces) shredded carrots (I used shoe-string carrots)
4 scallions (my husband went to 4 different stores and couldn't find any, so we used green onions. 4! What a sweet man, trying to please his wife:)
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 Tb soy sauce
10 flour tortillas (6-inch size)
3 cups shredded cooked chicken (recommended to use rotisserie chicken, but I just shredded some chicken breasts)

1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, coleslaw mix, carrots and scallions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes, until vegetables are softened.

2. Stir in the hoisin and soy sauces and cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken; stir to combine with vegetables and heat through.

3. To serve, heat tortillas following package directions. Spoon 1/2 cup of mixture down center of tortilla and roll up.

My family liked this pretty well. We all rated it a 3-star meal. We'd make it again, but not for a dinner party. Even my kids ate it without picking out the veggies. My husband thought it would be better wrapped in wonton wraps and baked. I thought some slivered almonds would spice it up as well. I ate it the next day for leftovers, and I almost liked it better cold, when it sat overnight. I'd reccommend this recipe.
(and sorry about the picture...I couldn't figure out how to turn it! The preview pic has it turned. Go figure.)

1 comment:

Sal-my-gal said...

I LOVE Mu-shu. I've never had it with chicken though. I order it when we go out for Chinese and the waiter is always like, "It has a a lot of cabbage in it." They are always trying to make sure its what I really want. I guess people order it and are dissappointed because it wasn't what they're expecting. I never thought of making it at home. Yum!