Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Hot Chicken Salad Casserole

See below* for ideas on lightening the recipe.

Casserole: Mix the following ingredients together.
2 c. chicken, cooked and diced
1 c. cooked rice
¾ c. mayonnaise
1 T. chopped onion
1 T. lemon juice
1 can sliced water chestnuts
1 can cream of chicken soup
½ tsp. salt
3 hardboiled eggs, diced

Topping: Mix the following ingredients together.
1 c. cornflake crumbs
½ c. sliced almonds
1T. melted butter

  • Spread casserole mixture in a greased casserole dish (I used 9x13).
  • Sprinkle casserole with topping and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

    Comments: My grandma passed away about a year-and-a-half ago. For Christmas, my cousin compiled all of Grandma’s best recipes and gave all the cousins a copy. This recipe was one I tasted when I was about 10, but I hadn’t remembered it until I was flipping through the book. Since the rule is that I can’t have made the recipe before, I thought this would be a valid one—especially since I haven’t tasted it in 23 years. It’s an easy recipe that can be prepped a day or so in advance and then tossed in the oven when you’re ready for it.

    Reaction: My husband loved it (he had three helpings), and my son liked it (he ate around the almonds, but he chowed down on the water chestnuts). Hubby said that he loves a hot meal on a cold day (darn this Cache Valley “spring”) and gave it a thumbs-up. I remembered back to the days when Grandma would prep this dish for a summer picnic; she felt it was party-worthy, so I do, too. J Four stars.

    *There are numerous ways one can lighten/”healthify” this recipe: Use light mayo, use your own light cream soup recipe, use brown rice instead of white, or use a lighter trans-fat free spread instead of full-fat butter. You also might want to toss in some frozen veggies like peas for a more well-rounded meal.

3 comments:

Janelle said...

I have to admit, any recipe that lists "mayonnaise" as an ingredient automatically makes me want to gag. That said (it's nothing personal), this recipe sounds pretty good! And it's nice that you can prepare it in advance, too.

stewbert said...

Mmmmmm ... I may have to try this ... only make it without the soup. bah.

Jenni said...

We do something a lot like this, except I do lots of assorted veggies (peas, broccoli, carrots, etc), and don't do that topping. I just spread the cream of chicken soup over the top (rather than mixing it in). *shrug*
My recipe doesn't have the rice or eggs, but they would work fine. :)

And Janelle, you can always put in sour cream instead of mayo--it subs very well (my husband doesn't like mayo either). :)